Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Meet Peeves

It's been almost a year since Blake and I last added to our family. We had actually been talking about getting Symbah a sibling, but we weren't sure if it was the right time to do so. One Sunday morning, after Blake had already gone to work, I woke up to my phone going off the hook with texts and phone calls from Blake, telling me that I needed to get over there ASAP! I threw on a change of clothes and slippers, grabbed the keys and got there as fast as I could. When I got there, I saw Blake and a coworker sitting on the front porch bench. I walked up to them quickly and once I was close enough, I saw this poor little gray kitten in his arms. I naturally reached for it and held it myself to see if it was okay. This one was in what I would say life threatening conditions. It was practically all skin and bones the poor thing. 
Blake and I had already picked out a name for a new kitten if we were to bring home another. I looked at Blake as I held the kitten up and said "Peeves?". He replied with "That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to check with you first." Then I looked at the kitten and said "Well hello Peeves! Nice to meet you! I promise, we will take really good care of you!" Before I took it home, I asked how they found it. Blake's coworker said that she was about to go on break and when she stepped outside, the kitten had climbed up the side of her pant leg. The poor thing was so desperate for food, she would do anything to get something to eat. She went back in to get Blake, who had just been making a dish with bacon, to come see the kitten. Right after he picked it up, it was trying to nibble his fingers which smelled so good!
After they told me the story, they needed to get back to work and I needed to take care of the kitten. So I held it close as I walked to the car, and wrapped her up in my cardigan as we drove home. I then started to think about if this was going to work with Symbah or not. I hoped for the best, grabbed my phone, and opened the door. Watch the video below to see what happened next!

After the two of them met, I took her to the bathroom to get her all cleaned up and to make sure she didn't have any fleas. Once that was done, I got out some milk for it to get some food in her. I didn't know if she was old enough to have regular cat food, so I also placed a bowl of that next to the milk. She went straight for the cat food and really went to town with it. I had seen Symbah do the same when we brought him home. The vets all told us that it was the thought of not knowing when their next meal would be that was causing them to eat so much, so fast. I knew with a little time she would slow down.
When it became time for me to pick up Blake from work, I had put Peeves in our cat carrier just in case, while I was gone, Symbah couldn't attack. When Blake joined me in the car, I told him that we should have the mindset of Peeves just being a foster pet for now until we know if it was going to work out between the two of them or not. It took a few weeks, but they finally get along like siblings. When we got back to the house, I wanted to take Peeves to Petco, like we did with Symbah to see what all we needed to do to get her healthy. We decided to take a photo of how big she was compared to a soda can and leave her in the carrier so she wouldn't get too stressed out. They said the fastest way to fatten her up would be wet food for a little while and then switch to dry. We had also asked about how to handle Symbah and they recommended a calming spray. We went with the collar instead since we had used them before and they had worked out well for us. 
It didn't take long to get Peeves up to perfect health. We found that most of Symbah's aggression was coming from the fact that he had not yet been fixed yet. Next week I will post about how Blake and I gradually worked on the relationship between Symbah and Peeves! As a little sneak peek, we call it The Burrito! In the images below, you will see the image we took to Petco to show Peeves size when we first brought her home. An image of Peeves cuddling with momma. And my favorite, Symbah and Peeves cuddling together once they finally decided to get along! Did any of you have a story similar to ours with a new kitten? Comment below your short story! Want to see more? Follow me on Twitter at @TheMochaowl11.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment