Thursday, June 16, 2016

Moving Away from the Family

       On this day last year, I moved out of my parents house to start a new chapter in my life with Blake back in Kansas. This was one of the hardest moments for me, but it was exciting at the same time. Blake and I had been long distance for four years, only able to visit once or twice each year, and now moving in together, never having to say a dreadful goodbye again. On the other hand, leaving the people who raised you and who you grew up with your whole life, seeing everyday to only twice a year now was really tough. 
        I remember packing up the U-haul, thinking back on all the good times. My dad and brother, I believe, had the most fun loading the truck together. They seemed to be enjoying getting everything to fit and picking out what they should load next. My mom was fixing one of my favorite breakfast meals, cream chipped beef, as it was going to be the last time in a long time that she would ever make that for me again. My grandma was also visiting at the time and was helping me with getting the last few things packed and ready to go.
        Once the truck was all set and ready to go, we decided we would go out to eat dinner before I left. Mom wanted me to choose where and think about what I wouldn't be having for a while. I decided on steak at Logan's and it ended up being one of the best steaks I've ever had! When it came time to say goodbye, I didn't want to go. I kept trying to tell myself that I was ready and it was time to get out of the house, but I don't think anyone could really be prepared to say goodbye to their family when they move states away. 
        We said our goodbyes in the back and I gave everyone a long bear hug. I remember it like it was yesterday, getting in the truck, waving back at them and looking in the mirror until I could no longer see them. I started crying by the end of the block at the first stop light. I called Blake bawling my eyes out to try and calm down since I had a long drive ahead of me. Once I got to the neighboring town I called my mom to check in with the directions she printed off for me. I was headed to my Aunt's house in Illinois for the night. It allowed me to cut off a few hours of my trip to Kansas so then I wouldn't have to go the whole way or stop at a hotel. It was also an opportunity to visit my Aunt and Uncle and catch up with them. Even though I was only there for a night, it was still great seeing them.
        Other than how much gas I had to get, the worst part of the drive was that the seats would not adjust, so I had to sit up straight the entire way. Every time I would stop at a gas station I would stay out a bit longer to walk around and stretch my legs. I would even make phone calls to get my address changed and take care of things that were easy to do on my phone that I would normally push off until later. I did get to learn truck lingo on the way down here too. I found that entertaining in itself. The radio was not the easiest thing to work with, especially when driving, so I just plugged my phone in and listened to pandora by placing the phone in my shoulder strap of my tank top. With the truck being so loud it wasn't easy to hear but it worked and I would sing along.
       When I pulled in to the town where Blake was living at the time, my legs were worn out to where I was worried I would fall trying to run into Blake's arms, but he met me right at the door of the truck when I put it in park. I was so happy to have finally arrived. The duplex of which we live in now was being remodeled and was not going to be ready until the next day, so we spent the night at his grandparents house. I had not even seen the place yet but was too excited to sleep.
       The next morning, we were able to go take a look at our new home. When we walked in, it still needed carpet put down and doors installed, which was all going to take place that afternoon. I could imagine everything that would be happening. Where the christmas tree would go, how I would place the furniture, everything! I couldn't believe that Blake and I were going to really be together forever and it was all starting then! We knew that this day would eventually become, yet it was still hard to believe.
        I am so thankful for cell phones and skype. It has bringing my family together in the best way possible with being states away and has been making my move here so much easier. It also helped keep Blake and I together during all those years of being in a long distance relationship! I miss my family everyday, but I know I made the right decision and took the right path. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment